- Provide overall engineering oversight for operation and maintenance of public infrastructure (facilities, water distribution system, wastewater collection and treatment system, stormwater collection, and streets), and manage/execute capital improvement program.
Customer Service Requests:
- Respond to initial request and meet with customer to assess the problem.
- Determine corrective action and forward to Public Works Division Manager, or obtain contract services.
- Follow up to assure corrective action is effective.
- Assist City Planner in identifying needs and solutions to manage City growth.
- Periodically update analyses for short-term and long-term situations.
Infrastructure Capital Improvements:
- Develop 5-year Capital Improvements Plan (CIP) for public infrastructure. Prioritize needs with available City funds. Update annually to account for changed conditions.
- Implement the current year CIP. Include funds in the budget, design the project in-house or secure outside consultants for specialized work. Manage and coordinate all activities.
- Secure public bids for the work and execute construction contracts, bonds and insurance. Monitor construction, resolve field problems, maintain public relations and customer inquiries, and provide construction testing contract administration.
- Develop annual expenditure budgets for public infrastructure. This accounts for approximately 75% of the total annual City budget.
- Project revenues for Motor Fuel Tax (MFT), water and sanitary sewer.
- Account for daily operation and maintenance costs. Implement Public Works labor, equipment and materials needs.
- Implement Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) per available funds.
- Monitor budget monthly for actual revenue and expense. Make adjustments for unanticipated expenses and revenue shortfalls.
Annual MFT Maintenance Program:
- Formulate annual program with input from Public Works Operations Manager.
- Present program for City Council approval.
- Complete all preliminary and final documentation prescribed by IDOT.
- Coordinate with developers during concept stage; review final plans.
- Monitor field construction, track developer guaranty and inspect work related to capital improvements that will become City responsibility for maintenance.
Commercial Building Projects:
- Review site plans for compliance with City requirements and adherence to acknowledged standards of the industry.
- Follow-up during construction as needed by Planning & Zoning Department.
- Final-inspect construction to assure compliance with approved plans.
Coordination with State and Federal Agencies:
- Prepare reports on water and sewer system as required by IEPA. Immediately report critical situations, and respond to IEPA inquiries.
- Coordinate with IDOT on activities involving State highways in O’Fallon.
- Coordinate with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) on activities involving major streams in O’Fallon.
- Coordinate with St. Clair County on activities involving County roads in O’Fallon.
- Coordinate with other State and Federal agencies as needed.
- Insure City compliance with its National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits governing discharges from sewage treatment plants, construction sites, and streets.
- Prepare funding assistance requests for City infrastructure and services, including State and Federal grant and loan applications.
- Assist in defending the City in litigation.
- Resolve emergency situations with public infrastructure.
- Interpret and enforce the City Ordinance.
- Provide support for park, cemetery and building maintenance actions.
- Maintain infrastructure records.