Residential or Commercial Occupancy Permit Program

(Property Maintenance Program)

Occupancy Permit forms are listed at the bottom of this page.

The City of O'Fallon wants to ensure that all residential and non-residential properties are safe, maintained, and meet the minimum requirements of the Property Maintenance Code. We accomplish this through the City’s Residential and Commercial Occupancy Permit Program. The Occupancy Permit Program provides Property Maintenance Inspections for residential and commercial properties located within the city limits and an Occupancy Permit is issued when a property passes the inspection. An Occupancy permit is required when the occupancy or ownership of a home, apartment unit, or commercial building (including tenant spaces) changes and there is not a current permit on file. Residential Occupancy Permits are valid for 2 years from the date of application.

Commercial Occupancy Permits are valid for 1 – 2 years, depending on specific features of the property.  You may click here to find those requirements.

Occupancy Permits can be applied for:

  • In person at the Community Development Department, 2nd floor of City Hall
  • By mail using the links below to print an application and submit with the application fee*
  • We accept cash, check (payable to "City of O'Fallon"), Discover,  MasterCard, VISA, and American Express.  A convenience fee of 2.35% from your credit card company will be charged.

*Residential Occupancy Permits are $50.00. Commercial Occupancy Permit fees vary based on building size and features, please call or click here for our Occupancy Permit Fee Schedule for details.

After an application is submitted:

  • Applicant must contact us within 7 days of application to set up an appointment for an inspection
  • The inspection must be performed within 30 days from date of application
  • The Occupancy Permit must be obtained within 30 days from initial inspection, which allows time for the correction of all identified violations.
  • Property may be occupied prior to the inspection, provided there are no life safety issues.

Please note:

  • The property must have utilities (water and electricity) operational for the inspection.
  • Ameren Illinois & O’Fallon Utility Billing will request the Occupancy Permit number prior to accepting a request for utility service
  • If selling/purchasing a property be sure to check with your lender to find out if the Occupancy Permit is required for closing.
  • If your property is going to be a rental, you will also want to comply with the Crime-Free Rental Housing Program.