O’Fallon, Illinois – Several water customers on McKnight Road and Union Hill Road in Fairview Heights are currently under a boil water order until further notice. The boil order is a result of a water main break, that has been repaired, at the intersection of Meckfessel Drive and Union Hill Road.
During a boil water order, water customers should take the following measures to protect themselves from consuming potentially contaminated water:
- Bottled water should be used for drinking, cooking, washing fresh fruits / vegetables, hand washing and tooth brushing.
- The affected tap water can be used for these purposes but only after it has been brought to a rolling boil for 5 minutes.
- The affected tap water may be used for washing dishes if a dishwasher is used. If dishes are hand washed, boiled or bottled water should be used. The affected tap water may be used if the clean dishes are immersed for at least one minute in a sink of water to which one full tablespoon of regular household bleach has been added.
- The affected tap water may be used for bathing or showering.
- The affected tap water may be used for household cleaning.
NOTE: If the tap water is cloudy and / or contains particles, bottled water should be used.
After the boil water order is lifted or water service resumes, these precautionary measures should be followed:
- Flush the building’s water lines and clean faucet screens.
- Purge the water-using fixtures and appliances of standing water and ice, such as refrigerator ice makers or coffee makers.
The O’Fallon Public Works Department will continue to monitor its water supply and notify customers when the boil order has been lifted.
# # #
If you would like more information about this topic, please contact O’Fallon Public Works at 618-624-4500 x 3.
Pictured: Several water customers on McKnight Road and Union Hill Road in Fairview Heights are currently under a boil water order until further notice. Properties located within the red box are currently under a boil order.